Smiley face

Bell St. construction uncovers Wasabi’s mail-working past

Hat tip to Belltowngeek for this one…

Over the last several weeks, the corner of 2nd and Bell has been torn down, cleaned up and is now already being built up. A clue from the twittersphere lead us to check out the bare side of Wasabi Bistro, where removed concrete has revealed a piece of Belltown history in the form of a logo from “Elliott Addressing Machine Co.” Here’s what Seattle Department of Neighorhoods had to say about it…

This modest building was built in 1950, when construction was recovering after World War II. It is of concrete construction with very large display windows and Roman brick trim, typical of the 1950s. It originally housed office and showrooms for two business machine companies, Diebold and Elliott Addressing Machine. These were typical of the types of businesses that located in Belltown at the time so that they could be close to their customers in downtown office buildings. Much of the facade has been covered with brightly-painted plywood.